Call for Participation: Autotopia

Polaris autotopia at c3d2.de
Wed Feb 20 21:20:02 CET 2019

Dear All,
-------------------
TLDR;
We are organizing "Autotopia", a series of events dealing with
automation and society. We are looking for speakers and contributors.
Contact us here: autotopia at c3d2.de
Details below
-------------------
Call for Participation!

For a couple of months a small group has gathered in the Hackspace
Dresden to organize a series of events, which wants to illuminate the
relationship between technology and society.
In April we want to tackle the first topic 'automation' from various
perspectives and with different formats.

Beginning with the industrial revolution, and the massive impact it had
far into the 20th century, we can see again an again how advances in
automation provoke social upheaval. By means of technological progress,
accelerated by a globalized and connected world, disruptive
technologies impact our lives in ever shorter intervals.

The discussion around so-called "future trends" often appears too
simplified and shortsighted. Debates around artificial intelligence,
predictive policing/massive surveillance, Industry 4.0, high-frequency
trading and automated warfare, stumbles over marketing concepts or
suggests an 'obvious necessity'.

A growing number of people feel patronized or left behind faced with
this rampant "progress". We seem to be stuck in this status quo,
although there are various alternatives. Our questions are:

   -Who profits from automation?

   -Which longterm consequences arise from the wide-spread use of
   automation technologies?

   -How does automated decision making at work impact the possibility
   of democratic participation?

   -Which concepts can help to make the next surge of automation
   benificial for all members of society?

   -Which potential for emancipation and (re)organization may hide in
   this technological change?

   -How do we decide how far technological systems (should) reach into
   our private lives?

   The series "Autotopia" aims to discuss these question in various
   formats.

We do not target any specific group; we invite makers, hackers,
writers, artists and designers, scientists and journalists,
enthusiasts and critics!

At the moment we are looking for speakers and are going to lay down
precise dates and formats in the next couple of weeks. We are planning
to do talks, workshops, readings, film screenings and discussions.
If you are interested;
Contact us, we are open for any contributions and ideas.
Is there otherwise someone you know, who we should absolutely ask?

You can find out more about our concept and our workings at

    https://wiki.c3d2.de/GesellschaftMachtTechnik
    https://pentapad.c3d2.de/p/TechnikundGesellschaftOrga

Chaotic greetings,

Autotopia Team
Email:autotopia at c3d2.de
PGP Fingerprint: AA02 D6BC 2B6B 5264 E952 145C 54F8 77CE CBC2 D22E